PVC card printers will gather debris internally after printing hundreds of cards. Each printer must be cleaned regularly to optimise printer life and card print quality.
Table of Contents
- Accountabilities & Skills
- Process and Tools Needed
- Scheduling and Planning
- Follow the Printer Manual Instructions
- The Outcome of a Properly Cleaned Printer
- Cleaning Process Assessment
- IDP Smart 51 Cleaning Video
Accountabilities & Skills:PVC card printers will gather debris internally after printing hundreds of cards. Each printer must be cleaned regularly to optimize printer life and card print quality. Some printers will prompt for cleaning, and some may require cleaning before card printing can be continued. Ensure you have all the cleaning supplies on hand and on time to ensure zero delays when the printer prompts for cleaning.
- Keep the ID card printer clean, on a defined schedule
- Install and remove printer ribbons, film, and laminate as they apply
- Ability to understand, follow, and learn the technical processes stated in the user manual.
Process and Tools Needed
Here is a quick self-assessment checklist:
- Do you have a basic understanding of operating the printer?
- Are you investing the scheduled time to clean the printer once a quarter?
- Do you have access to the printer user manual?
- Are you maintaining a sufficient inventory of cleaning supplies?
Scheduling and Planning
Some printers will prompt for cleaning, and some may require cleaning before card printing can be continued. If you are not prepared when the printer prompts for cleaning, you may be unable to print ID cards until you have all the cleaning supplies and the needed time.
- Always ensure there are enough cleaning supplies in inventory.
- Depending on your office's print volume, determine a regular cleaning cycle.
- If you have multiple printers, clean them all regardless of print count per each.
- Book a Printer Cleaning calendar event as a reminder.
Follow the Printer Manual InstructionsKnowing where the printer manual files are stored on your network is essential. Unless you have cleaned the printer many times in the past, using it as a guide is suggested.
- First, pay attention to the inside of the printer when cleaning, as you may want to use canned air to remove loose debris before using the cleaning products.
- Follow the steps and instructions in your printer manual to clean the printer.
The Outcome of a Properly Cleaned PrinterID card printers are not inexpensive and should last four to five years easily if taken care of and even longer if supported.
- Now your cards should be printed mostly debris-free and showing minuscule spots in printed areas.
- You'll continue to get the most life out of your printer!
AssessmentYou are doing a great job!
- Do you know how to clean the ID card printer?
- Has the card printer been cleaned in the last six months?